Monday 2 November 2015

Mens Shirt to Ladies Vest


Mens Shirt to Ladies Vest  

My 17 year old son has grown out of these collared shirts which I loved so in my true fashion I turned them into vests for me to wear!!

I tried on the shirts and luckily they were a good fit on me. Using pins I measured where I wanted the shape of the vest to go on one half. I then folded the shirts in half and cut both sides where the pins were, leaving a seam allowance.
 
 Then trying on the shirt again inside out I worked out where to put some darts so that the vest sits better under the bust line. (I placed the darts neatly under the pocket) and sewed them in. After the darts were sewn in I trimmed the hemline.

Next step was to pin and sew the hem.

The final step for the grey pattern shirt was to trim the sleeves. I cut them right on the seam so I didn’t have to resew the armholes.

With the coloured shirt I did all the same steps but made the hemline a different style and changed the neckline.

For the neckline I tried on the shirt again and folded the collar into the inside of the shirt until I found the neckline position I liked, then pinned it. I ironed the pinned collar so when I took the pins out I could see a line (crease) to cut along. Remember to leave a seam allowance. The final step was to pin and sew the neckline!!

I’m very happy with my new vests.

 
 

(My son hopes his friends don’t recognizes them!! Lol)

 PS shirts are now for sale on my Etsy Shop
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/CraftSJInspired?ref=hdr_shop_menu

No comments:

Post a Comment