Saturday 7 May 2016

Upcycle Old Jumper to Skirt


Upcycle Old Jumper to Skirt

I had a great time upcycling this old jumper into 2 Dog Jumpers and a Winter Skirt for me!!
I started with this old jumper and cut off the sleeve to keep them aside for the dog jumpers. (Instruction in the next blog!!)
Be very careful as the knitting threads wants to come undone very quickly and easily
With this next step I measured the length I wanted the skirt to be and drew a line. I was lucky as it was just under the sleeve line, otherwise I would have sewn up the sleeve holes and made them part of the side seems.
Now I sewed two rows of straight stitching near the measured line
Followed by zigzag stitch in-between. I’m a bit paranoid about the threads/knitting stitches coming undone on me!!
I cut off the top part of the jumper just above the stitching
Again I sewed!! I used the overlocker this time just to tidy up the edge
With this step I measure the ribbing to ¼ less than the sewn edge of the jumper in length, and made the ribbing wide enough to go around the wide elastic and seam allowance
Sew the ribbing ends together so it’s a loop
Place pins at ¼ marks on both ribbing and cut down jumper
Line up the pinned ¼ marks and then pin the together
Now sew them together stretching the ribbing to fit the width of the jumper as you sew

 Sew the elastic into a loop then pin and sew it into the ribbing waistband

Done
 

I’m now ready for winter!!

This is another skirt I made with a skivvy like jumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment